The Gang

The Gang
Ain't We Got Fun?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tracking seminar

Shar, Deb and I had the opportunity to attend a tracking seminar with Donna Brinkworth of Penhold. What a great weekend! We met some very enthusiastic trackers from the schutzhund club and learned a whole lot about footstep tracking. Our dogs are not used to something that precise so I decided early on that it wasn't the method of choice for Token, who already knows the game. I will stick to the food drop and article method for her as I am comfortable with this method and it lends itself better to what we do with our Karelians, who have to switch back and forth from tracking to air scenting (trailing) to get their job done quickly and efficiently.
But for precision, you can't beat footstep tracking and it is the 'only' method if you are going to go into schutzhund competition. I can also see where it would help a dog in the urban tracking role. RoZe got right into it as will any 'foody' dog. I learned the method years ago with Carolyn Herle and threw it into my bag of tricks and never took it out for my own dogs again.... until now. I will train two dogs in urban tracking, one with each method, and we'll see what happens.
Again, if you get to take a seminar from Donna, do it.
And we are definitely going to have her come to this end of the province to do more with SAWHDA.

Obedience and rally rules have been put away for :
Deb, Shar, Maureen, Janine, Sylvia, Louanne, Amanda, and Mary Ellen.
Tracking rules have been put aside for Louanne & Deb.

See you soon.

Judi

No comments: