The Gang

The Gang
Ain't We Got Fun?

Thursday, August 19, 2010

From the saddle

Finally, after two years sabbatical from horseback riding, I, with the help of my friends Connie, Don, Deb, and Peter, was able
to take my Standardbred mare and go for a marvellous 3 hour ride into the mountains in the Crowsnest Pass. What a terrific day it was. Oh, yes, I will admit that I felt absolutely sore on the last downhill to the trailer, and for the next day or two, I thought that the three of them had planned to kill me, but today I am so ready to go again. There is nothing like the back of a horse to bring things into perspective.

Must mention that our Crowsnest Pass Riders, a team of young women who do the grand entry for our pro Rodeo each year, are in Kalispel this weekend to do the Grand Entry for the Americans at their pro rodeo. I am so proud of this team. Actually, I have Bella here with me. Bella belongs to Robin Sinclair and her daughter Kelsi and she is the best dog. She handles things without stress or fuss and just knows how to be a dog. Worth her weight in gold. Not a young dog, but does not present herself as an old dog, either.

My husband is coming to Cranbrook with Shar and me to the dog show this year and he was so geared up that he had all his stuff packed and the meals planned for this weekend. Too funny. I let Shar break the news that we didn't go until the end of the month.
And now that I am not working for the schoolboard this year, I don't have to wait for weekends to go off on a holiday . So look out, Jackie; you could have visitors in the near future. Get that Geordie ready for the Drummer Boy.

Speaking of Cranbrook, we look forward to seeing those of you who are entered. Come over and visit. Hunter needs the practice.
He is way, way, way too long for me to handle easily and years of heeling at a relaxed pace make it a real effort on my part to get him up into a full stride. He is too much like the Standardbred. Should be entertaining, to say the least. And boy, what a diff to go from Hunter to Drummer to work. Light years apart.

Our tracking seminar has been moved to September as the instructor needs to be away this weekend. I will miss it but will take the opportunity to get that horse out into the mountains again. And we have been doing really well in our tracking group so
will continue to work together. We went out Tuesday to the Cowley Airstrip and had two very nice u-tracks done by Ryder and Token. Aging will be the next step and I, for one, will take it slowly. Remember, anyone who would like to join us, whether you
know anything about tracking or not, is welcome to do so. Just phone or email me to get the time and place for the week.

Happy heeling and Best in show to everyone.
The Prez

No comments: